Sunday, January 4, 2009

4 months?

4 Months Since I Wrote on Here?

Wow!

The rare silence in the house prompts me to write a post. I am tempting fate to wake either of my men from their naps by actually doing something. Seems our world has changed in the last 4 months. 
Reese grew from an infant to the walking, talking, screaming temper tantrum world of toddlerhood. We celebrated his first birthday on December 27th with our families and again yesterday with our friends. By the end of it all he was a sugar rushed walking zombie at 2pm. Wouldn't it be cool if we could remember being that young? I would love to know what kinds of thoughts run through my child's head. 

I continue to try to master the balancing act of marriage, career and motherhood. I have FINALLY found a job I love, working still as a social worker, helping the homeless to better their circumstances, find housing, beat their addictions, get back on their feet and become functioning members of society. It is challenging and ultimately more rewarding than any other job I've ever had. I never knew much about the homeless population and probably held some of the same stereotypes typically known of them. Alcholics, lazy, mentally ill, druggies, etc. And some of them are. But when it comes down to it, they are just PEOPLE.  People who need help and aren't afraid to admit it. (Most of the time.) Every day I come face to face with people who have hit "rock bottom" but aren't quite ready to give up. I commend them on their persistence! How it must feel to lose all dignity in the human eye, beg to sleep in shelters and find every meal in a soup kitchen? Sleep on the street in freezing temperatures and wake up only to find your last few possessions stolen? Try to find a job when you smell bad because you couldn't take a shower and have no call back number or address. Let's put it this way, I sure count my blessings every afternoon when I come home to my nice house. And I feel good about making a difference in my community and helping to change people's lives. 
There is a book on the subject of homelessness that I recently finished reading that I would HIGHLY recommend. It's called "Same Kind of Different as Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. It's nonfiction, heartwarming and heartbreaking.  Give it a try, you won't be dissapointed. 

So life is good. Sure, I'd probably rather work part time but it makes a huge difference now that I actually enjoy what I do and the people I work with. What I have to say makes a difference and I am part of a great team of co-workers. I get to come home earlier and spend more time with Reese.  And the icing on the  cake, I make more money. I am in the process of finishing my application for grad school, and will embark on this adventure part time while I continue to work full time. Stay tuned for how I handle this!

1 comment:

Mark and Emma said...

You're alive!!:) So excited that you found a job you love! I love what you have to say about the homeless population - AMEN!! Unfortunately I think it takes working with that population before you start to understand and have compassion for them. I used to be the biggest hypocritical bigot before, geez!! Good luck with grad school!

<